Post Building Architecture
Nikolai Markov (1882-1957)


Nikolai Markov ( 1882 - 1957 ) " Nikolai Markov", son of Lev was born in Tbilisi in 1992, in a celebrated family of czarist Russia. His father Lev Markov, a high-rank officer in the army, had come to stay in Tbilisi. Markov went to high school in Tbilisi. Then went to the academy of art and architecture in the imperial college of Saint Petersburg. He was graduated in 1910 when 27 years old. He had two daughters with his first wife, Ludmila in those early years. Then he continued studying orientalism at the same university, learning the Persian language, he probably graduated in 1914 and joined the Russian troops in the Caucasus. In 1915 he probably came to Iran, with Gazak troops to fight together with Reza Khan ( The founder of Pahlavi dynasty, later on ) . after the October revolution, Markov stayed in Iran and in 1921 abandoned the army and came back to his architectural activities. While in Iran he married Vera, the young lady born in Baku, and had a son and a daughter with her. Vera died in 1928. He joined Tehran municipality and established his first office in Istanbul Str. then in Ferdowsi and Arbab Jamshid Str. He passed away in 1957 when 75 old.

 

Nikolai Markov Architectur in Iran

Joan of Arc ( 1886 A.D )

Located in 12th district in Tehran , adjacent to lalezar and Manouchehr street was registered as a national monument as both school and church and one of the structures constructed by French national in Tehran originally used by Girls nuns for Armenian girls and also as an orphanage , later on after the Islamic revolution it was also open for the Muslim community .

Moshiroddoleh building ( 1906 A.D )

Located in pirnia dead – end alley in lalezar ave in Tehran . it was made to order from Hassan Pirnie famously known as moshiroldole , who know Markov personally in Saint Petersburg . many critical enters during constitutional government took place in this house with the Islamic revolution the house was registered in cultural heritage organization .

The grand falahat school ( current agriculture faculty of Tehran’s University 1929 A.D )

The first school of agriculture in Tehran opened in 1929 named ” Falahat Muzaffar ” and relocated to teacher’s college 6 years later . it is believed that this structure is the first work of mirror in Iran .

Alborz High School ( 1873 A.D )

This school is a college preparatory high school located in the heart of Tehran , Iran . It is one of the first modern high schools in Asia and Middle East , built by Americans , named after the Alborz mountain range north of Tehran . Its place in the shaping of Iran’s intellectual elite compares with that of Eton College in England and institutions such as Phillips Academy , Phillips Exeter Academy , and Milton Academy in the United States The school was founded as an elementary school in 1873 by a group of American missionaries led by James Bassett . When Dr. Samuel Jordan arrived in Persia in 1898 , he instituted change ; subsequently , Alborz became a 12 – year elementary and secondary school , with its share of college courses . Thereafter , the institution came to be known as the American College of Tehran . Dr. Jordan remained president of Alborz for 42 years ( 1899 – 1940 ) . During his tenure , Alborz grew from an elementary school to a high school and college . The main building of this high school is the first works of Nikolai Markov , a Georgian architect who has many lasting works in Iran .

Municipality of Tehran ( 1923 A.D )

The splendid structure that was made to order by Armenian major at the time , gasper ipkian between 1921 to 1923 in the north side of toopkhane sqr ( former sepah ) and finally demolished in 1966 to 1969 after turned in to a garden the shortly turned into bus terminals .

Teacher’s college ( 1928 A.D )

An institute dedicates to educating teacher for high schools through in the country . In the beginning , it was known as ” kamal al Molk school ” this structure was ordered by Dr. Eiss sedigh the head of public education and inaugurated in 1936 A.D .

Museum of the Qasr Prison ( Markov’s prison 1929 A.D )

The Museum of the Qasr Prison is a historical complex in Tehran , Iran . Formerly referred to as the Qasr Prison , it was one of the oldest political prisons in Iran , which is now a museum complex surrounded by a public park . Qasr was originally built in 1790 as a palace with extensive gardens of which nothing but the names remain , in the reign of Fath – ali Shah of the Qajar Dynasty . In 1929 it was repurposed as a prison , the first modern detention center in the country , in which prisoners had legal rights . Nikolai Markov , a Georgian architect who settled in Iran after the Russian Revolution , did the rebuild , combining urban industrial design with traditional Iranian features such as adobe bricks , which became known as Markovian bricks . It had 192 rooms for 700 prisoners , of which about 100 cells were solitary . Here Ahmad Ahmadi , known to prisoners simply as “ Dr Ahmadi ” administered lethal air injections to several of Reza Shah’s many opponents , such as the poet Mohammad Farrokhi Yazdi . After Reza Shah was overthrown by the Anglo – Soviet invasion of Iran in 1941 , Ahmadi himself was tried for the murders and executed in 1943

The house of professor ” ADL ” ( Current art researcher center 1931 A.D )

Built – in 1910 in Tehran , valiaser avenue , in front of ” mArmar palace ” . the building cost of one luxury mansion place basement and separated structure for housekeepers and home theatre .

Razi Vaccine and Serum Research Institute ( 1924 A.D )

The Razi Vaccine and Serum Research Institute is an Iranian pharmaceutical company . It is located in the Hessarak district in Karaj , Iran. The Institute was built as a national center with the purpose of countering epidemics in domestic animals during Reza Shah era . Further departments were installed , including those dedicated to human medicines . The Institute is known for its anti – venom serums derived from snake and scorpion venom . The Institute has struggled to implement Good manufacturing practice ( GMP ) as mandated by World Health Organization ( WHO ) requirements .

Varamin Sugar Refining Factory ( 1932 A.D )

Type: Sugar Refining Mill
Area: Tehran
Raw materials: Raw Sugar
Products: Sugar
Owner: Varamin Sugar Refinery Company
Activity Since: 1935

Firooz Bahram High School ( 1932 A.D )

This school is one of Tehran’s oldest high schools still in operation . Built in 1932 , it was constructed on the property of Zoroastrians such as Ardeshir Kiamanesh . The school was named after an Iranian Zoroastrian that died in the Mediterranean in World War I . The school’s establishment was supported by the then Zoroastrian representative in the Majles Keikhosro Shahrokh The architecture of the building is clearly that of the Qajar era of Iran .

Post and Communications Museum ( 1934 A.D )

Formation of Post and Telegraph museum or somehow , the first posts and telecommunication museum of the country goes back to 1923 . In 1923 the first post museum of post and telegraph was patterned from specialized European museums and like other civilized countries of the world , all instruments related to post and telegraph were stored . Venue of this museum was part of P.T.T Ministry building ( Telegraph House ) located on southern side of former Toopkhane Square across from Municipality building now demolished. Post office Bldg ( currently Communication Museum ) is one of grand buildings of 1 st Pahlavi era , and Bagh – e – Melli Precinct . This building is located in Imam Khomeini ( R.A ) street , next to Bagh – e – Melli gateway in former military exercise fields . The building in 3 stories and 3 sections including Postal Parcels Sector ( western wing ) , state posts ( eastern wing ) and Central hall , ( middle section ) . The Customs Postal Parcels with some 6000 sq m was changed to Posts Museum in ( 1990 ) after thorough restoration and was renamed Posts and Telecommunication Museum in 2000 . In 2004 with regard to the renaming the Ministry of P.T.T to Ministry of Information and Communication Technology , the Museum was also renamed as Communication ( Posts and Telecommunication )

Residential complex of Varamin factory ( 1932 A.D )

-

The house of manager of Varamin factory ( 1932 A.D )

-

Dar ul-Funun ( 1934 A.D )

Established in 1851, was the first modern university and modern institution of higher learning in Iran . Founded by Amir Kabir, then the royal vizier to Nasereddin Shah, the Shah of Persia, Dar al-Funun originally was conceived as a polytechnic to train upper-class Persian youth in medicine, engineering, military science, and geology. It was similar in scope and purpose to American land grant colleges like Purdue and Texas A&M. Like them, it developed and expanded its mission over the next hundred years, eventually becoming the University of Tehran In 1930, the building was destroyed by Mirza Yahya Khan Qaragozlu (also known as Etemad-od-Dowleh), then Minister of Education, and rebuilt based on a Russian engineering design.

Schools in “Hamadan ” and ” Mazandaran” provinees ( 1934 A.D )

” mam school ” located in mirzade eshgh in Hamadan city goes back to the Pahlavi era . former pahlavi school below to first Pahlavi dynasty is located in tonekabon in the central city square of the city .

Preliminary teacher’s school ( 1935 A.D )

The peak of markov’s works in the field of educational architecture . plain simple brich walls combined with delicate rows of tile works above windows and door heads .

High School Anoushirvan Dadgar ( 1936 A.D )

This school ( Establishment of 1315 Solar ) One of the oldest and Zoroastrian high schools in Tehran on Revolution Street , is located between the streets of Hafez and Vali Asr , Saeed Alley and is located on the eastern side of this Alborz Alumni High School . When the Firoz Bahram high school was completed, it was necessary to create a special high school for girls . The building was built by a benevolent lady named Ratan Beyi Banji ( JT Tata ) of the Mobid Dynasty and resident of India ( Jamshidji Tata’s sister ) with an initial capital of Rs . 100,000 . The current name of this high school is Anoushirvan Jay Tata . Now in this high school , students are trained in various religions . landscape architecture is similar to the Alborz High School and the Gandarak School , and most likely its architect Nikolai Markov . High school brick facade with gypsum . When entering the building , the high – profile headlands appear with Saragawa and Forouhar portrait . Colored tiles with Achaemenid roles are also featured in the two – bay .

Shahid Shiroudi Stadium ( 1939 A.D )

The Shahid Shiroudi Stadium formerly known as Amjadiyeh Stadium is a sports stadium in Tehran , Iran , currently used only for Athletic competitions . Until 2009 it was used mostly for football matches . The stadium was opened in 1942 . It was called Amjadieh Stadium until the Iranian Revolution .

Fakhr al-Dawla Mosque( 1945 A.D )

Historic Mosque in the street Fakhrabad in the neighborhood Darvazeh Shemiran in TehranThe mosque building of Mirza Ali Khan Amin al – Dawla started in 1945 and Lasted 4 years . The monument in 1949 by the ( Lady Fakhr – ol – dowleh ) and in front of her house was completed . Markov during the reign of Reza Shah of Iran’s most prominent architects , and many buildings in Tehran and other cities to build . Mosque ( Honeysuckle ) He also established at the request of its founder Mrs. Fakhr al – dawla . Fakhr Al – dawla mosque , one of the main mosques in the region and is part of the identity of Tehran . The building of this mosque in Iran’s national index . In addition to worship , political events such as elections also done in the mosque .

Surp Asdvadzadzin Church , Holy Mother of God Church or Saint Mary Church ( 1945 A.D )

This church is an Armenian Apostolic church in Tehran , Iran completed in 1945 . During and after the Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire and the loss of their homelands about 50,000 Armenians found refuge in Iran . On 17 April 1937 , a meeting was held with the presence of Armenian architects, and Nikolai Lauri was asked to present a plan to build a church based on a budget of 60,000 tomans . However , Nikolai Lauri died in 1939 , and the plan was realized by Nikolai Markov . Roman Isayan ( called Isayev in Russia ) financed the construction of the church , which costed 100,000 tomans . Construction works began on 17 April 1938 with the participation of a large number of Armenians and clergy of the churches in Tehran . The church was completed in 1938 and christened in 1945 by Karekin I, Catholicos of Cilicia, as Church of Holy Mary

St. Nicholas Church , Tehran ( 1940 A.D )

This church is a Russian Orthodox church in Tehran, Iran.At the end of the 16th century a monk Nicephorus, founded the first Russian parish on the land of Persia. A Russian spiritual mission was operating in Iran by the beginning of the 20th century, and by 1917 there were about fifty Russian Orthodox churches. Over the next three years, everything that had been created over the previous three centuries was lost. In the early 1940s, a Russian church reappeared in Iran thanks to the donations of Russian emigrants – St. Nicholas Cathedral, which was under the administration of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. In the 1980s and 1990s, the church was gradually abandoned, and in 1995, at the request of its parishioners, St. Nicholas Church was annexed to the Moscow patriarchate.